The global recession has hit Ireland as much as anywhere else and the tourism industry are affected as badly as other industries. The big changes to expect in Ireland in 209 are the following.
1. Better rates in Hotels. Particularly five star hotels. Luxury Manor and Castles have dropped rate by as much as 40%. This brings them in line with 4 Star Hotel rates.
2. Less traffic on the small Irish roads. This is great particularly in the honey pots of Killarney, Ring of Kerry and Dingle Peninsula and Burren Region.
3. The locals are going back t the pubs. Believe it or not the recession has increased beer sales. Diageo who owns Guinness reported a 2% increase in beer sales in the last quarter of 2008.
4. Sales, Sales, Sales... everything from crystal, linen, woolens, ceramics, art and crafts are at unbeatable prices at the moment... it’s a good time to stock up on Irish goods.
5. Increased Competition - This means better quality and lower prices all round... the better the competition the better the quality so that’s a bonus too!!!!
We don’t want the recession to last forever but it does have some benefits to the visitor to Ireland.. and of course . The more people that come the sooner it ends for all of us.. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
We recommend the following for those looking for value in Ireland in 2009.
1. Stay at a 5 Star Hotel like Ashford Castle - Its once in a lifetime and great value at the moment.
2. Buy Water ford Crystal - This famous Irish brand may be joining the dinosaurs in extinction.
3. Enjoy a Guinness with the locals .. the Irish like to sing when things get bad !!!
4. Eat Well - People are returning to locally produced and home cooked food so expect lots of potatoes and butter
5. Make sure you use the expertise of Ireland Chauffeur Travel, Irelands leading driver guided travel service.